From Gate Pa in Bay of Plenty, along the East Coast and inland of Hawke’s Bay to the Ureweras is an area rich in Maori history and heritage.
In 1769, the hills behind Gisborne were the first part of New Zealand sighted from the Endeavour on James Cook’s first voyage. The historic interest of the East Coast is both Maori and Pakeha – with sites linked to Cook alongside Maori pa sites and settlements.
Pre-European Hawke’s Bay was predominantly part of the extensive territory of Ngati Kahungunu, with early Pakeha following missionary William Colenso near Port Ahuriri in 1844 and eventually establishing large sheep runs serviced by small rural towns.
Inland from northern Hawke’s Bay is the rugged Urewera country, homeland of the Tuhoe.
Find out more about Hawke's Bay:
Hawkes Bay overview
Rangitikei River Bridge Number 75, as it was officially christened in 1925, was built to be practical and functional - an economic lifeline. Very few of these types of bridges now remain.
"Must do" checklist
Cook Landing Site, Gisborne
Art Deco Shop, Napier
Take the Art Deco walking tour