Right in the heart of Wellington is Antrim House, a prominent landmark in what was once a predominantly residential central city street. Its historic significance arises from its origins as the home of successful businessman and founder of R Hannah & Co Ltd, Robert Hannah, his wife Hannah and their family.
Antrim House (named after the county of Hannah's birth) was his last home, had all the latest conveniences including gas, electric light and bathrooms. It was designed in Italianate style by the firm of Thomas Turnbull & Son, which designed many other notable Wellington buildings. It has kauri panelling and staircase, stained glass windows (all different) and ornate ceilings by Wunderlich of Sydney. In the grounds are a stable block and conservatory.
Since Robert's death in 1930, Antrim House has been home to many people - as private hotel, public service hostel for young men. In 1979 Antrim House was given to the New Zealand Historic Places Trust, who use it as their headquarters.
Though surrounded by high rise buildings, Antrim House still has its lawns and trees, an oasis of green in the city. The Hannah Room is available for hire for business meetings.